Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wakame Kale Slaw

Confession time... I had never knowingly eaten kale until a month ago, and never prepared it myself until today. I was introduced to a recipe by a fellow midwifery student and loved it! I'm not sure why kale always intimidated me, but I'm going to keep experimenting with it now that I've broken through.

This recipe is flavorful and easy to make (if you have a food processor) I adapted it a little from its original.

INGREDIENTS
Slaw:
1 head kale, ribs removed, leaves torn into bite sized pieces OR put kale in a food processor and process into a slaw with the S-blade (I used food processor)
2 scallions (green/spring onions), chopped
1/2 cup dry wakame (will soften with dressing)

Dressing:
3/4 cups brazil nuts
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp good quality salt
1/4 cup avocado oil (or whatever oil of your preference)
juice of 1 lime - about 2 TB
1/4 cup water

DIRECTIONS
Put kale, scallions and wakame in a large bowl and toss.
For dressing, put nuts, garlic and salt in a food processor and process until mixed well.
Add oil, lime, water and process until smooth.
Toss dressing with slaw and mix well, refrigerate and serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home